Wednesday 17 March 2010

Spanish speaking Italians from Brazil in Germany?

0 Comments

There's one thing that sticks out to me in Darmstadt, and that's the number of Spanish, Mexican and Brazilian people living and studying here. That 'Italian Party' I told you about was dominated by the hispanics, so much so that I don't think I even met one Italian sole there. The Spanish students are here in the plane-loads due to close tertiary agreements between Spain and Germany; the Mexicans and Brazilians, I have no idea. It kind of works out amazingly because I've been trying to learn Spanish for quite some time now so passively I'm learning, hooray! Need I mention the men, again?

Here's how most of the night went down..

PRE-PRE-DRINKS: Johnny and I had decided to check out the International Generations Meeting (a sit-down party for students) before heading out, arriving to free beers, wines and champagnes - oh and delicious wraps and pastries. I got to meet a few "friends of friends" which was fantastic, but on the whole it was full of older people and I couldn't understand the German conversations going on to save my life. Johnny and I snuck out, fresh beer in pocket.

International Generations Meeting

PRE-DRINKS: We headed to Karlshof* which is the only other, and much, much, MUCH bigger student housing complex in Darmstadt. We got to meet a lot of Steph's friends, who generally were - yep you guessed it - Spanish, Mexican or Brazilian. Some of the girls had dressed up as the Italian Mafia which was fun to see. The pre-drinks here had reminded me so much of my friends back in Australia - the craziness and hilarity of it all was almost identical.

There's a couple of the 'Mafia'

DRINKING TIME: The Italian Party was hosted in the most random room I had ever seen in my life. It was just that, a room. A big one though. There was no bar, no anything really. Just a whole bunch of people in the one space, dancing, boozing and having a blast. Two of the girls I was with had bought along a bottle of wine to share. In a drunken stupor, we managed to somehow pop open the plastic cork with a fork. Each taking several large swigs, we headed back into the party. I had somehow ended up holding the bottle --"Someone please take it! I look like an alcoholic!" .. "I'm already drunk, you keep it" & "I'm waaaaay drunk". To my girls at home -Laura, Lex, Rach and Rob (okay so you're not a girl but you're as good as one to me) - you guys all know my history with wine bottles in clubs. Not good! ..Yet funny.

Happy snaps

Messiness.
Amazingness.

Viva Spai.. Germany!

*This complex houses over 1000 pupils and is notorious for their wild parties and dominance of the student social life. I'm not one to shy away from parties, but the quieter, cleaner, closer and less crowded nature of Nieder Ramstadter (my student complex, which houses approximately 400 students) works for me. Sharing my dorm with 10 others instead of 4 doesn't sound that appealing to me, nor my liver.

0 things you've said:

Post a Comment